The sample is a simple ArcEngine based application that demonstrates how the GPS Support can be used on the ArcEngine or ArcGIS Desktop platforms. This sample uses the MapControl to display the GPS positions and uses the GPS support objects - RealTimeFeedManager, GpsFeed, GpsSimulator.
The main form contains a ESRI MapControl. While loading the form, a new RealTimeFeedManagee is created and it takes care of the Map display and the GPS positions. The user can choose to connect to the GpsFeed (typically a device on the COM port), or a RealTimeFeedSimulator (simulated feed that gets the positions off one of the polyline or point Feature Layers). Depending on which feed, the respective form is displayed. To make the RealTimeFeedManager start listening to the GPS Feed or RealTimeFeedSimulator and updating the positions on the MapControl, the RealTimeFeedManager's active RealTimeFeed is started.
This sample can be extended to take advantage of the RealTimeFeedManager's capabilities. RealTimeFeedManager provides various other methods or properties that can be used to control the display properties (through IGpsDisplayProperties, IPositionTrails), manage logs(through IRealTimeLog), snapping (through IRealTimeFeedSnap).
Platforms: WindowsMinimum ArcGIS Release: 9.0
How to use:
- Open the project in VB, compile and then run the application.
- To connect to the GPS device on the COM port:
- Click Connect to GPS Device...
- Choose the suitable setting for the GPS device on the COM port.
- Click Ok.
- To connect to the GPS Simulator:
- Open a file that has valid Polyline or Point Feature Layers in it.
- Click Connect to GPS Simulator...
- Choose the layers listed in the combo box.
- Click Ok.
- Click Start.
- If you don't want the map to pan automatically, uncheck Auto Pan.
Download the files for all languages
Key Libraries: Carto
Key CoClasses:RealTimeFeedManager, RealTimeFeedSimulator
Key Interfaces: IGpsDisplayProperties, IPositionTrails, IRealTimeLog, IRealTimeFeedSnap
Key Members:IRealTimeFeedManager::GpsFeed, IGpsDisplayProperties::AutoPan