This tool only works with an ArcInfo license and will only be available in ArcToolbox if you have installed ArcInfo Workstation.
Computes the geometric intersection of two coverages. All features of the input coverage, as well as those features of the identity coverage that overlap the input coverage, are preserved in the output coverage.
Learn more about how Identity works
Identity _arc (in_cover, identity_cover, out_cover, feature_type, fuzzy_tolerance, join_attributes)
Data types for geoprocessing tool parametersScript Example
|Input Coverage (Required)
The coverage that will be overlaid with the identity coverage.
|Identity Coverage (Required)
The coverage that will be identitied with the input coverage. Must have polygon features.
|Output Coverage (Required)
The coverage to be created.
|Feature Type (Optional)
The feature class from the input coverage that will be used.
- POLY—Poly on poly overlay. This is the default option.
- LINE—Line on poly overlay.
- POINT—Point on poly overlay.
|Fuzzy Tolerance (Optional)
The minimum distance between coordinates in the output coverage. By default, the minimum fuzzy tolerance value from the input and erase coverages is used. Learn more about how the default fuzzy tolerance is calculated
|Join Attributes (Optional)
Specifies whether all items in both the input coverage feature attribute and identity coverage will be joined to the output coverage feature attribute table.
- JOIN—All feature attribute items from both coverages will appear in the output coverage feature attribute table. If a duplicate item is encountered, the item in the input coverage will be maintained and the one in the join file will be dropped. This is the default option.
- NO_JOIN—Only the feature's internal number (cover#) from the input coverage and the intersect coverage are joined in the output coverage feature attribute table. This option is useful in reducing the size of the output coverage feature attribute table. The Add Join tool can then be used to get the attributes to the output coverage features.
# Description: Identities all wells to counties coverage
# Requirements: Python and the Python win32all extension
# Author: ESRI
# Data 1/6/2004
# Create the Geoprocessor
gp = arcgisscripting.create()
# Put in error trapping in case an error occurs when running tool
gp.Workspace = "c:/myws"
# Identity the wells to the counties
# If an error occurred print the message to the screen